Sunday, October 3, 2010

Whats in a name? Every bloody thing is only in the name.



Like most of my other articles this one is also based on one of observations. It was the end of a busy day for me from office and i had some eager friends to meet after dinner. So i thought of giving myself a bit of relaxation before catapulting into a fun filled, rather tiring night. Like most of us, i sat before the idiot box and browsed through the available channels. I stopped however at a local channel that was relaying a mundane Q&A program based on religious beliefs(i wonder why they do it so unprofessionally).

 Here comes my observation part. The moment I was about to change the channel, a phone(in the LIVE program) rang and after a mutual hi, hello the question was posed. The caller asked the host if the name of his daughter was appropriate and what it meant, and sought some advice if he should consider changing it. Now I don't remember what name he asked the meaning of, but this question triggered my attempting to relax nerves. During the fun filled night that followed, i was binded against my will to think about how the baby naming procedure goes. I haven't been through it yet, to know what it is, but that doesn't refrain me to formulate ideas.

In my opinion, there's this sometimes lengthy sometimes already decided procedure that happens every while a baby is welcomed in to this beautiful place called earth. Parents, i presume go about naming their children in the following ways.

   * Name the baby after an ancestor, just to keep up the legacy.
   * Name the baby after someone whom they admire or want their baby to be like.
   * They tend to follow the trends and name the baby after the popular names doing rounds.
   * Just a random name, that came out of the blues and they like its pronunciation.
   * Name something very unusual, so that people do not forget it.


Whatever the procedure applied, do we ever attempt to investigate the meaning or the significance that the given name would bear on the toddler's future? I believe name is what defines a person's characteristic, it atleast is an essential component in deciding it. Mister Shakespeare very famously quoted "what's in a name", but did he forget to write his name after that quote? I don't think so.
For instance my pen name MS-CUBE or maybe the name of my blog raise2replace  have been chosen after a significant amount of thinking and reasoning. I gave this examples because not just humans, but every thing, place or whatever deserve a good name.
 Hence I would suggest every reading this to ponder a while before naming anyone or anything that you may get a chance to. This article may not have made much sense, but I thought of writing on this topic and I did. If you have any queries or have any suggestions that you'd like to include I'd be glad. 


6 comments:

  1. Calm down MS CUBE your mind is veering off into some decrepit stuff(this topic and observations are lame),pretty over matured ....some thing avuncular like aunty-talk so use your observations and writing for some thing good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anon.
    Thanks for your concern and insights, i shall certainly consider your feedback.
    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A name is nothing but a label for identifying an object - may it be an insect, a place, an idea, a nation or a person.
    Nobody questioned why the river that separates India from the Middle East and the West was named Indus. I have seen so many People named Liaquat who are hardly school graduates. Knew a person named Rahim who is absconding from his hometown 'cos the police is looking for him for his goondaism and murders.
    So, its nothing more than just identification and, in no way, speaks about the characteristics or concepts about the object

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr.Khan!

    With humbleness and grace i would like to disagree with your opinion. I honestly feel that name is not just an identification to an 'object', 'insect','place','idea' or whatever. Moreover, I was speaking in context to homo-sapien names. Names that we are recognised from.
    For the record even I've seen many people who defy the true meaning of their name, but that doesn't mean what I suggested is wrong; quote me one theory sans exceptions.
    So, in my humble opinion name is not just an identification but it is something more than just that. I still believe every bloody thing is only in the name.

    CHEERS :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Microsoft-Cube: You seem to be referring to the arabic term "Ism" rather than the English word "name", if I am not mistaken. If so, then I fully agree with you. Yes, everything bloody thing is only in the name - may it be "terror"ism or "journal"ism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Moin!
    First things first, MS in my name doesn't in the rarest of possibilities abbreviate to Microsoft. MS is who I am.
    And yeah, i was referring to 'ISM' or 'SIFAT' or whatever it is called in Arabic. English you see is frickingly funny language.
    I liked you sarcasm towards the end, Nice :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...